18.12.06

Loving the local Sainsburys

Tonight anyway.

I was just standing there waiting to get a £1 coin for the trolley and I noticed the top of FHM sticking out from being a blue piece of plastic - on obstructive piece of plastic - on the top shelf - in a slight alcove - away from the shelves on the side of the entrance into the main shop!

Oh yes! A little piece of victory for all the people out there who can't stand these mags being shoved in our faces. I spotted the tops of FHM, GQ and Zoo above car magazines before going into the shop and noticing on my way in that the 'Men's Interest' section had now be populated by things like Home&Garden!

The great thing is, they're out of the way, they're not above children's comics and magazines, they're only near other traditional mens interest magazines (cars, football, grrr manly), AND the only thing you can see of them is the top where the magazine logo is so you don't even have to look at some other woman's breasts on your way in to get your broccoli and pasta!

[As an unrelated aside: when trying to find out the real way to spell broccoli I found out that 'brocciflower' really exists - it's a hybrid of broccoli and cauliflower - I thought they just made that up in ...California Dreams... or something!]

7 Comments:

At 19/12/06 19:47, Blogger Michelle said...

Great news. Might be interesting to write a letter to applaud them on this (it's always good to show your appreciation, as opposed to just complaining all the time!) and see if they respond- they may give reasons as to why they decided to move them.

 
At 19/12/06 22:35, Blogger Grace said...

I went back today and asked the sales assistant why they had been moved and said that I thought it was a really good thing and she said that some women had complained about them so when they rearranged the magazine area they moved them over there and put the blue things in front of them.

She did say 'they're not that bad though are they?'

I told her that some of them were far too 'in your face' and in some places they're put above childrens comics and magazines which just isn't appropriate. And reiterated that I thought it was a really good thing.

Not the best piece of activism since I had chance to get on my soap box about it. I still asked though which I think is a step in the right direction for me because I was actually in sainsbury's with a couple of people who have been less than supportive (i.e. ridiculing) of feminism so I think it's good that I didn't lose my nerve!

 
At 20/12/06 00:50, Blogger sparklematrix said...

This happened in my local Somerfield's after I had ahem targeted them - nice feeling

 
At 20/12/06 00:52, Blogger sparklematrix said...

Forgot to say well done in not backing down with your friends! tis hard - I know!

 
At 20/12/06 19:14, Blogger Michelle said...

No, that's brilliant you asked, don't put yourself down! V. encouraging to hear they moved them because some women find them offensive. We need to keep the pressure on so other retailers do the same!

 
At 20/12/06 19:54, Blogger Grace said...

thanks Sparkle - yes I remember your Somerfield success, that was around the time I discovered your blog!

 
At 21/12/06 17:48, Blogger Grace said...

thanks Michelle also! Indeed it is encouraging - I would like to meet those women!

What is also encouraging is that I saw a big Birmingham Women's Aid poster up at work today, and I hadn't seen it before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home