2.12.06

an event

My friend is trying to organise events in Birmingham - she's a budding entrepreneur (nearly spelt it right the first time) - and i've suggested an event for a women's charity where we'd play music by women (yeah yeah yeahs, distillers, tori etc) and give some of the proceeds to the charity (i'd like ALL of the proceeds to go but I think my friend, Cerys, would probably not agree to that as she's sort of hoping this will start her career) and hopefully get the bar to donate some as well.

The venue will likely be the Sunflower Lounge on Smallbrooke Queensway in Birmingham city centre (by New St station and the Bull-link fly over) as that is where we're holding our first event in Feb (NY themed perhaps), it's a small place - it'll be a small event but a fund raiser is a fund raiser.
The thing is i'm having a dilemma - which charity/organisation? I wanted to go for RTN as it's topical since it'll be an evening bar event but there is some controversy over the attendance of men at their events and most of the people I know who go to the sunflower are men (but it's not a male place if you get me) - anyone care to give me some suggestions?

The ones i've come up with so far are YWCA, Women's aid and Positively Women - but does anyone have any other ideas? It needs to be a UK charity really and Cerys would prefer it to be a midlands based one but I don't think there are any!

I want this to work well, I want to do something for the cause. I will keep the blog updated on the progress!

(is there a better RTN site than the above one? preferably not myspace as i'm not on board with that site...it gives me the creeps...)

2 Comments:

At 4/12/06 12:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about Refuge?

http://www.refuge.org.uk/

They are a UK charity supporting women and children who are the victims of domestic violence. They provide safe houses for women and children who need to escape from a violent partner, and also campaign against domestic violence. Definitely a worthy women's cause!

Good luck with your event. :)

 
At 4/12/06 12:23, Blogger Grace said...

thanks yaeli, I'll tell Cerys about it - I think since this whole event organising thing is her 'baby' she'll want to do the contacting - I offered to email BSWAid and she was like 'no it's okay i'll do it'!

If any petitions come about during the new year that are relevent i'd be happy to print one out to get people to sign at the event - so keep me posted people!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home